Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The great parenting debate...

Today my two year old son told me that mommy's stay home and daddy's go to work. I never thought I would hear that from one of my children. I was raised by a strong, independent, working mother and I always assumed I would be the same. The thing is I am a working mother. I have a full time job with a Fortune 500 company. I go to work every morning… in my basement.

There are positives and negatives to working at home. Most importantly I get to spend more time with my kids, there is no commute, I eat all of my meals with my kids, and I can take 15 minutes here or there to do an art project or go for a walk. The down side, they spend more time in front of the TV then pediatricians recommend, I have absolutely no alone time and my son has developed a serious attachment to me that didn't exist before (I can't even go to the bathroom without him standing outside the door crying).

So... in the great debate of Stay at Home Moms vs. Working Moms, where does the Work at Home Mom fit in? Is it better to be home with your children, even if you can't give them all the attention they deserve or are they better off in a daycare center with a qualified and trained staff? As more and more companies embrace the concept of telecommuting, will there be a noticeable impact on our kids?

No comments:

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google