Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Reading Wednesday - Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

It is almost impossible for me to tell you which Dr. Seuss book is my favorite. All day I have been reading quotes from his collection and each time I think "Ooh... I love that one!" or "Oh, I forgot about that one, wow!". I think that my favorite was ever revolving and changing.

Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now! was my favorite when I was a small child. I have vivid memories (some of my earliest) of my Dad and I laying in my bed reading this book. I was read this book so many times as a child that when it came time to read it to my kids, I didn't have to look at the pages. This was also the first book that Izzy "read" to me. She was 3 years old and she "read" every word without even one singe look at the book. It was amazing!

My other favorites only presented themselves after I had kids. Not that I didn't read and love Dr. Seuss as a child, I just see them differently as a mom. While I previously found the nonsensical words irritating, I have learned to love how important they are when teaching kids to read. The pictures in relation to the rhyming words make it easy for young readers to sound out the words and create connections that constantly expand their growing vocabulary.

Green Eggs and Ham was the first book Isobel actually read from beginning to end. She made so many new connections reading that book. It was simple enough that she had the necessary confidence to push herself, but with words she had never tried to read before. She made the connection that could, would and should all sound the same, she recognized that both know and no sound the same but are different words. As a parent, it is difficult to watch your child struggle through something as difficult as learning to read and I am not sure I would have made it though without Dr. Seuss to help me along.

The other thing I love about Dr. Seuss is that every book has a simple, kid friendly message. These messages revolve around respecting yourself, respecting others and respecting your environment. These three items are the most basic and important values a child can learn. Everything they do in life will stem from learning and understanding the importance of these three things.

Happy Birthday Dr Seuss!
Thank you for all you have done for me as both a child and a parent.

No comments:

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google