Sunday, July 24, 2011

Another week...

Tomorrow is Monday. The beginning of another week. It is strange how normal tonight feels. I am sitting in front of the computer, the kids are in bed and I am planning for the week. I am writing my weekly to do list. The items that need to get done before the weekend. The list has the normal items; bills need to be paid, laundry needs to get done, rooms need to be cleaned, amendments need to be abstracted. A normal list, like any other week.

Unfortunately, this is not like any other week. This is the last week I will need to add work items to my list. At the end of this week I will be packing up my work computer and mailing it back to Ann Arbor. At the end of this week I will begin to shred massive amounts of legal documents that I have amassed over my last 7 years of work. At the end of this week only 1 in 10 employees will remain at the Borders Corporate office... only 1 in 10.

While that in and of itself is heartbreaking, the idea that by the end of September every Borders store will be gone and over 10,000 knowledgeable booksellers will be out of work is devastating. While I can imagine my life without my job, the idea of life without Borders is tragic.

Another week, an atypical week that will soon become the norm. I guess I will have to find another way to fill my to do list.

No comments:

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google