Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The day after...

I am a little numb today. Just thinking about the world without Borders is thoroughly depressing. I have so many memories of Borders over the span of my life, it is sad to see something that was truly fantastic, in it's prime, disappear.


My first memories of Borders started at 16. That was when we could finally drive without Mom or Dad in the car. That is when we were free to start exploring on our own. One of my earliest adventures out on my own was a trip to Kansas City to visit the Borders at 93rd and Metcalf. I would later identify this as store 23. This store was amazing and so cool. They had all the best books and you could get any CD in their music section. I mean, they had everything from the obscure indy pop that we all thought was so cool to the fantastic regional and local bands we wished we were old enough to see at the Bottleneck any given night. We shopped and browsed for hours then we would leave Borders and walk over the Maggie Moos across the parking lot and indulge in the yumminess that was raspberry ice cream mixed with M&M's. We did not do this once, we did not do this twice, we did this so many times that I would go through Maggie Moos withdrawal when we went too long without a fix.

In 1999 Jon and I were living in Kearney, NE and ready to come back home to Kansas. He was commuting two hours every day to the Hastings in Grand Island, NE where he was the General Manager. While he liked the store, he didn't like the commute. One day he found out that Borders was opening a new store in Olathe, KS and shortly after we were presented the opportunity to move back home. He worked in three different Borders stores throughout his 2 years in the field before finally settling into a position in the Marketing Department at the Corporate Office.


Then in 2003 I was presented an opportunity to join him on Phoenix Drive and pounced. I have never looked back.

Over the last 15 years I have visited a lot of Borders. I have bought countless gifts at Borders. I have received countless gifts from Borders. My absolute favorite birthday gift (next to Emmy's pink toes) was the year Jon bought me 10 books and let me sit all weekend and read. He purchased them, at Borders of course, after contacting friends he had made at Borders and asking for recommendations.

There are so many things I will miss about Borders. I hope that Borders will be remembered in a positive light. I hope that people will remember the first time they walked into a Borders. Remember the first time they had a conversation with a bookseller. Remember all of the authors and books that were on the New York Times Best-Seller lists because a bookseller in Rapid City, SD recommended it to not only a single customer but all of the other booksellers throughout the country who then recommended it to a single customer. Remember the regional bands that would have never had an album on a store shelf had it not been for the consignment opportunities that were offered at Borders. Remember all of the artists whose painting were displayed and sold off of the Borders cafe walls. Remember the books that were donated to low-income schools and educational programs all over the country through First Book via Borders. Remember the impact that Borders has had on their communities. Remember that Borders, in its prime, was a hub for readers and writers everywhere.

My numbness will fade over time and I will mourn the loss of what Borders was. I will mourn the people, I will mourn the atmosphere, but most of all I will mourn the books.

No comments:

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google