Thursday, July 28, 2011

What will I do next?

I have spent the last 20 years trying to figure out a way to never grow up. I am the female Peter Pan. I don't want to go to work in an office. I don't want to clean the house. I don't want to do the laundry. What I would like to do is sit at my desk all day and just write, read and listen to music. Unfortunately, I also like to eat, drive my car and sleep in a bed with a roof over my head. Therefore, I fully understand that I will have to find a job and I will most likely have to go back into an office. I am just not willing to accept that reality yet. So, instead I have decided that I am going to organize my life.

As of Friday, July 29th, I will join the ranks of the unemployed. What that means is that I will no longer have a reason for my kitchen being a mess, my laundry not being done and my shelves being dusty. This means I will have to assume the position of responsible adult and start doing housework. If you have ever met me then you know, the idea of this is repulsive. There is very little in the world I hate more than cleaning. I am one of those odd people who tends to be very organized and a bit of a control freak, but the idea of doing dishes or picking trash up off the floor is exhausting.

Given my deficit in so many areas of home management, I have decided that I am going to try one of those fun little "This is how you get your house and life organized" books. Lucky for me, my darling husband happens to be employed by a publisher that supplies just those books. As I have absolutely no qualms about biasedly choosing a book from his collection, I have decided that I will attempt to follow along with the book "Organize Now!" by Jennifer Ford Berry.

Now, I haven't actually read the book yet, but rumor is that it sells a lot of copies. Which we all know, if it sells a lot of copies it must be great...right?!? Plus, this book is "a week-by-week guide to simplify your space AND your life". Which means I get to spend a week on each section. If that isn't a procrastinators dream...

The downside, however, is that I am one of those people who works completely on momentum. I am afraid that if I spend an entire week on something I will never move on to the next step.

If you pick up the book, or have the book, let me know. Together, we can visit Never-Never Land and Never-Never be cluttered or disorganized again. Perhaps, as I organize my home (and my mind) I will finally decide what I want to be when I grow up.

No comments:

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google