Saturday, June 21, 2008

Gum vs. Peas...

Tonight, at dinner, Eli told us that he hates gum. This is an odd statement considering he has never had gum. So, of course, I decide that I have to test this theory and see if he really hates gum. I decide the best way to do this is an ultimatum, one that will ensure he will pick the gum.

My bright idea... "Eli, you either have to eat your peas or chew this gum."

His first reply (after much thought) was "peas". Well, Isobel could not allow it; she was shocked. This made Eli change his mind and pick the gum.

I got out a piece of gum (EXTRA bubblegum) and gave it to him. He put it in his mouth and immediately spit it back out and said "I hate gum".

He then ate his peas.

Who knew that gum could work in this capacity? I typically consider gum a reward. Apparently I have to rethink the power of gum.

2 comments:

Jacin said...

After having spent the better part of Sunday night cleaning a piece of gum (Trident, not EXTRA) out of our son's hair, I'm starting to think that it's more of a punishment for the parents ... I would've preferred peas, too.

Marissa said...

Yuck... I sort of forgot about the whole gum in hair possibility. I guess I am lucky Eli "hates" it. I am shocked there is another person out there who would have picked peas... seriously, Jacin... if I didn't know you, I would think you were a total freak... :)

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google