Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Reading Wednesday - Ivy and Bean


I am madly in love with the Ivy + Bean series (Annie Barrows + Sophia Blackwell, Chronicle Books).

I tried forcing these beautiful (yes, I totally judge books by their covers) books on Izzy every trip to Borders, but to no avail. Then, one day, Izzy told me that she needed more books for her book box at school and asked me to pick her up a couple. I asked what she wanted and she said the magic words, "I don't know. You decide." Wohoo! I rushed out that night while Iz was at a birthday party (so she couldn't go with me) and snagged the first book of the series, Ivy + Bean.

I don't know about other parents, but I find there are few books with relatable female characters for girls at Izzy's reading level (Chapter Books, right on the cusp of Independent Reader). The reason I am so in love with these books is the simplicity. It is the story of two young girls who begrudgingly become friends over a common, and totally normal, bond of hiding from an older sister. The beauty of these books is based in the unexpected friendship of these two, complete opposite, seven year old girls. The idea that we sometimes have to see past oddities to really get to know someone, and in the end that someone may turn out to be your best friend. The characters are beautifully written with their own distinct and captivating voice. The black and white illustration continue the elegant simplicity and compliment the story perfectly. They are also proportional to the story, so you don't feel like your handing your child a picture book.

There are 7 books currently available, with the 8th set to be released in the fall. If you have a daughter who tends to be a bit of a realist and loves the idea of "best friends", Ivy + Bean should be on your list of books to try.

Easily, my absolute favorite thing about these books is that the next morning I walked into Izzy's room and she was laying in bed reading. She looked up at me and said "I have been reading since 6:00 this morning and I love these books. Thank you, Mom, these were the perfect choice." I can't imagine a better endorsement for these books, can you?

No comments:

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google