Sunday, August 2, 2009

Worst Mommy-blogger on the web...

Today is August 1st. It was over two months ago that I sat down and posted something on this blog. In those two months so many things have happened. While I missed a number of events that make me a horrible Mommy Blogger, one stands out above all the rest... Eli turned 4.

That's right folks, I missed a post wishing my sensitive, wonderful son a very happy 4th birthday. I think I officially win the prize for the worst Mommy Blogger on the web. I wonder if I will be able to find some sort of widget for that. If not, maybe one of my many graphic artist friends will step up and make me one, we all know I deserve it. I will do a post, albeit a late one, discussing this monumental day and possibly even add some pictures. However, grandparents don't get your hopes up, as I have been such a failure of late, I don't want more disappointment.

Other items that should have been posted, but weren't:

Early May brought the Annual Mother's Day Tea at Preschool. This year I was able to enjoy it with Eli. He sang and danced and we enjoyed some cake and juice together. It was a nice way to spend a few hours and I can't wait to go back next year when he is a little older and will hopefully be a little more animated. Shortly after the Mother's Day Tea, Eli celebrated his last day of his first year of Preschool. He will go back in September in the three day, Pre-K program. I can't believe how fast he is growing. He matures a little every single day, and it is a beautiful thing.

On May 15th Jon and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary. We actually had a babysitter for only the 3rd time in 6 years and enjoyed a very nice night out. As we waited outside PF Chang, which we love and the kids hate, we watched a number of high school kids getting ready to go to Prom. There was an enormous stretch hummer/limo thing that held at least 1,000 kids (perhaps a slight exaggeration). The best part was watching all of the girls in their flashy (not always pretty) dresses and their matching dates. We got a kick out of all the boys in white tuxes and lime green ties. It was also fun to comment on the boys we would never let Isobel or Emmy date and the dresses we would never let them wear. On the flip side, we discussed all of the ways we would never let Eli act. For instance, my son will never wear sunglasses with a tux after dark. If he does, he better be high or drunk and trying to convince me he is not. Otherwise, he will get the knob prize, and that will depress me beyond belief. I strongly believe these are realistic expectations for a parent... don't you?

At the end of May, Isobel finished her first official year of elementary school. She is now a 1st grader. She did wonderfully in kindergarten, passed with flying colors. Her teacher made the nicest note on her end of year report card, "you are a kind friend." If there is one thing that makes me the most proud of Isobel it is her heart. She is empathetic and kind, always the first to understand that while people are different they all deserve kindness and respect. It makes me proud to be her mother and, more importantly, proud to know her. This knowledge will make it possible to get through her pre-teen years, which I am sure will be complete and total hell.

At the very end of May Isobel and Eli had their Gymnastics Fun Meet at the YMCA. It was fun to see them perform all of the skills they learned in Gymnastics this year. They have both improved immensely.

In June Eli started soccer at Kids First, which is a local athletic club specifically for kids. Jon loves watching him, but I find myself very frustrated. Not because of the program, the instructors are fantastic and they are doing a great job teaching soccer fundamentals to 4 year olds, which can't be easy. The frustrating part is that Eli doesn't listen. The instructors will tell the kids to dribble the ball over to some cones, and then stop the ball with their foot. They are then allowed to bend over and pick up the little cone before heading to the other end. The whistle blows and all the other kids do as the instructor said, not Eli. He kicks (not dribbles) the ball towards the net, then shoots a goal. He then proceeds to the other side of the small field and kick another goal. I find myself cringe as this occurs... why can't he just listen? I just don't understand and it frustrates me. Jon is much better at being supportive, even when Eli is not listening. It is possible to not watch Eli without feeling like a horrible mom, because Bel is in gymnastics at the same time. Leading to the next event in our two month hiatus... Also in June,

Isobel started gymnastics at Kids First, which is a local athletic club specifically for kids (did I already mention that?). The facility is amazing! Isobel is only standing still when the teachers are explaining what they will be doing. I was worried that it would be a bit too advanced for her, but she has adjusted to the more rigorous environment nicely. If pressed, I would tell you that she has improved dramatically since the move. She is getting stronger and braver. In fact, today she attempted a somersault and handstand on the balance beam. A month ago, she wouldn't even walk on the beam without someone holding her hand. Huge improvement!

And of course, June brought Father's Day. As I have mentioned many times before I am very lucky to have Jon. He is a wonderful person and a terrific Father. I have listened to a number of people over the years comment on how hands off their husbands are. It always surprises me to hear how many moments some Dad's miss in their kids’ lives. That is not the case on our house. Jon finds a way to come to everything that is important to the kids, and me. He even took a few days off the week before Father's day just so I could go to Kansas and play with my old friends. For that and for everything else he does, I will always be thankful. I cannot mention Father's Day without mentioning my own Dad. He, just like Jon, always put my sister and me first. There was never a question as to his priorities. The best part was that he was actually here on Father's Day, so I got to celebrate with him. There is nothing better than being with your Dad on Father's Day. I love you, Dad!

Finally, Emmy has matured so much over the last few months. She is talking all the time and in well formed sentences. She is so much fun, there is no way I can capture in words how much energy and beauty she has. If you manage to look at her without smiling, she will make sure you are smiling before you look away.

While I am sure many more small things have happened over this period, I didn't write any of them down... yet another failure. I know I have said this before, but I am going to try very, very hard to start posting on a regular basis... I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens..

No comments:

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google