Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Know vs No to Green Eggs and Ham

Isobel is one of those children who has little problem learning. She is a sponge and absorbs knowledge. The down side of this is that whenever something is even slightly difficult for her she hates it. She is so used to things just making sense that she has a difficult time when they don't. This has been our biggest struggle with reading. She can sound out words, but if they are one of the many words in the English language that can't be sounded out, she becomes agitated.

For instance... a few nights ago we were reading one of her Level One Barbie books and the word in the book was know. She struggled with sounding out the word, so I told her the word sounded like "no". She did not believe me, her exact response was "nuh, uh. Why are you lying to me? No is spelled n-o and does not have a k in it." I told her that I know it is strange, but I promise it sounds like no. She was very upset with me. We had to call Jon up so he could confirm what I had already told her. This did not sit well with her. In fact she was so upset that we had to close the book and go to sleep.

The night before last, I suddenly had an idea... which to me was brilliant, but to every other parent in the world was probably obvious. I would have her read something that she sort of knows, but would still have to read. We started with Marvin K. Mooney Will you Please Go Now. What a mistake, she knows this book so well, that she didn't even have to read the words, she could recite the book from memory (a downfall of it being my favorite Dr. Seuss book). The next book of choice was Green Eggs and Ham. This one was a success. She sort of knew it and the pictures match the words, making it easier to figure them out. She read each word in the book all by herself. At one point I told her that could sounds like would (which she was reading without problem) only with a c instead of a w. Beyond that, I didn't help her at all. She was so proud of herself and so excited. For the first time ever, the words "okay, maybe I do like reading" escaped her lips. A true success.

Since that night she has read Green Eggs and Ham at least 5 times. She will read it to anyone who will listen. She has read it to Emmy and Eli more than once, and they loved it.

Just another thing that is exciting, yet sad. Just another example of how quickly she is growing up. One week from tomorrow she will climb back on the bus and head off to her first day of first grade. And I feel pretty good knowing that she can read at least one full book independently before she climbs those stairs.

No comments:

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google