Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I am sad, so very sad...

I am sad. I am very sad.

I am sad because last week Borders filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

I am sad because one of the exhibits of that document included a list of 200 Borders stores that will be closing.

I am sad because thousands of smart, intelligent, knowledgeable booksellers will be losing their jobs as soon as the liquidation of the stores is complete.

I am sad because these people will have a very hard time finding another job as a bookseller due to the reduction of brick-and-mortar bookstores.

I am sad because my children, everyone's children, will not have the access to books that they did last week.

I am sad for new authors trying to break into the business because the loss of 200 stores will impact the first print run and result in a lower advance.

I am sad for readers who will not have as many places to discover their next favorite book.

I am sad because during the first weekend of liquidation bookscan numbers for publishers as much as doubled. Sales at the closing stores are 20% off, 20%... People were lined up outside of closing stores before they opened for 20% off. They can get 40% off NYT Bestsellers and popular paperbacks everyday at every Borders. Even better, for a mere $20.00 a year, they can always get 40% off Hardcover Bestsellers, 20% off select Hardcovers and 10% off almost everything else in the store EVERYDAY. On top of that, had they shopped with the same ferocity before, they may have saved some local booksellers their jobs.


I am sad because Borders has been a significant part of my life since the day my husband became the Inventory Manager of the new Borders Superstore in Olathe, KS 12 years ago. I can't possibly count the number of Borders stores I have visited over the last 12 years. We would plan trips around visiting Borders stores, sometimes going out of our way. I love Borders and it is difficult to watch something you love struggle.

I am sad because something I love is at risk of disappearing right before my eyes. Not Borders, although as I have mentioned I do love Borders, but books. Is it possible that books will go the same way as music? Is it possible that someday people will think of books as unnecessary, even burdensome?

I am sad because my job security is questionable at best.

I am sad because it is possible that the few authors who are scraping by will have to cut back on the number of books they write. Speculation is that with 200 fewer Borders, profits for publishers and authors will decrease by 10%. We saw musicians struggle with the decline of album sales, but they had tours and merchandise that helped make up the difference. They still had a way to survive as musicians. Authors don't have that same luxury. They tour and sign books for people to buy at bookstores, without bookstores they won't even have that.

If you have any thoughts at all about books, brick-and-mortar, author's or Borders... please share. I would love to hear them, but please be gentle... after all I am sad.

No comments:

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google