Thursday, February 24, 2011

Old 97's/Those Darlins - Southgate House, Newport, KY

I am assuming that everyone who reads this knows me, as I can't imagine that anyone would stumble across this rambling blog and actually read. So, you all know that I spent some time in my late teens and early twenties around live music. For a lot of years I saw 5 - 7 live shows a week... so, I can honestly say I have seen my fair share of live bands. Having made that perfectly clear, I also have to make clear that this was one of the best shows I have ever seen.

This was my first trip to Southgate House and I was impressed. It is an old historic house that was built around 1814 and has a crazy long history regarding its former owners and their impact on Kentucky. My favorite is that it was once the home of John Thompson, inventor of the Tommy Gun. I am totally anti-guns and all that violence jazz, but if you are going to lay claim to the invention of a gun, the Tommy Gun is the way to go. Okay, enough with the history lesson. This place sounded fantastic. The Ballroom has a great laid back feel and it is exactly the kind of place you want to see a band like the Old 97's (if you can't see them at the Bottleneck in Lawrence, KS).

Those Darlins from Murfreesboro, TN went on about 8:30 and they were exactly what an opening band should be. I have been having a hard time finding an appropriate description, they are reminiscent of old school chick pop punk with a bit of that country twang. I know I am not doing them justice, but they absolutely got the crowd going. They were so good that I am sure if they were being followed by a lesser band than the Old 97's, the crowd would have walked out. I am saying this with the utmost sincerity, if you ever have a chance to see this band, run, don't walk to the venue. They are that good.

When Old 97's took the stage I actually had a flash back. Although they have aged a bit (as we all have), you would never know it. They are just as energetic as always and I was blown away, as I always have been, by their mere presence. This band knows how to pump up a crowd like the best of them. They played a nice mix of old and new songs which made an old school fan like myself very happy. The only down side for me (which is nowhere near a real downside) is that they played a lot of songs off Fight Songs. This seemed to rile up the crowd and most of the folks were singing along (as if it is possible to not sing along to Murder (or a Heart Attack) or Jagged), but it is my least favorite of the albums... please note that being my least favorite Old 97's album is a lot like being my least favorite piece of chocolate, I still love it.

The last time I worked an Old 97's show at the Bottleneck (again, over 10 years ago), one of my friends told me that he had recently been to a show in St. Louis. He told me that the encore consisted of Rhett, a guitar, and Question. I spent the rest of that night hoping it would happen at the Bottleneck, needless to say it didn't... in fact, they didn't even play the song. Since that night I have always been a little jealous of that friend... wishing I would have been witness to Rhett, a guitar and... oh you get the picture. After the show at the Southgate House, my jealousy has faded a bit. Although I didn't get exactly what he described, they did play Question this time, so I finally got to see it live. Rhett somehow managed to break two strings during the song... if you know this song at all, you know how much talent it would take to accomplish such a feat. The point... he was rocking! They all were!

I have a slight confession to make, while I am not at all the front row kind of gal, somehow that is where I ended up for this show. So, I was lucky enough to be surrounded by some interesting fans. You know, the ones that drive around and see multiple shows in one tour. In fact, the couple next to me told me they had already seen them 4 times on this tour (I am hoping she included the January shows in the "this tour" definition). Anyway, as Rhett rocked through the night, he had a bit of an issue with his fingers, from an earlier tweet I knew it was one of those Rock Star guitar playing injuries. At some point during the show, the injury caused him to request some tape to cover his wounded digits. During the first song of the encore, which was Rhett, a guitar, but not Question, he ripped off the bandage and threw it on the ground. The second that bandage hit the ground the girl next to me (Miss. Four Shows This Tour) had her eye on the prize. A few songs later when the band exited the stage for the final time, there was a mad dash for this tape that had once covered Rhett's bleeding finger... please realize when I say a mad dash, I was not among the girls dashing. In fact, Jon and I were backing away with a mixture of disgust and awe upon our faces. Disgust because, well you know, it was a used bloody piece of tape. Awe because there are actually people who would dash for a used bloody piece of tape and finally agree to split said used bloody piece of tape (did I mention it was a used, bloody piece of tape?) and not be absolutely humiliated.

Regardless of the crazy fans fighting for bloody tape, and a number of broken strings, this show was fantastic. It was well worth the wait, but I am not going to wait another ten years to see them again.

If you want to add Those Darlins to your music catalogue you can do so at iTunes, http://www.borders.com/ or at Amazon (although I really wish you wouldn't get it at Amazon). And if you do not have the complete Old 97's catalogue (especially Hitchhike to Rhome), run right out and fill in the gaps at any of the above mentioned places (again, preferably not Amazon).

And finally, if you have the chance to see either of these bands live... do yourself a favor, get there early and stay until the last note is played. There is not a moment that should be missed from either of these bands.

Just a last little note... The Old 97's, Rhett Miller and Those Darlins are all on Twitter and Facebook... If you are one of those twitter followers (as I am) or Facebook people (again, me) you should Follow Them/Like them. You can follow me if you want, but I don't really tweet and I only recently realized that at least half of them have something to do with Old 97's, which is a humiliation all its own.

No comments:

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google