Thursday, February 3, 2011

R.I.P. The White Stripes

I confess, I am a White Stripes fan. I find Jack White to be in the category of musical genius. I know there are people who disagree, but I just shrug and think they clearly have no idea what they are talking about.

I remember the first time I heard The White Stripes. They were on the Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn, and Jon and I thought they were a little strange. However, we kept hearing really great things about them, so we decided to give White Blood Cells a try. We bought it at Borders in Rapid City, SD over Christmas in 2001 and I fell in love. To this day, it is one of my three "go to" albums for constant listening (the others being Hitchhike to Rhome by Old 97's and I and Love and You by the Avett Brothers). I was, however, skeptical of a band with only two people. There is something about this that just seemed wrong.

I am a strong believer that a band is only as good as their live show. It didn't seem possible that two people could perform all of the songs on the album. Then, in May of 2002, I was lucky enough to see The White Stripes live and I fell even more in love with them. It was astonishing to see Jack White in action. The man is amazing. That was the day Jack White became a genius in my mind, leaving us mere mortals way behind.

Even the kids love The White Stripes. I always smile when I hear Emmy singing along to their music. Which of course, she hears all day long on PBS Kids. Seriously, how many bands can say that one of their songs is used in a PBS Kids identification spot?

Yesterday, The White Stripes officially announced that they have decided to go their separate ways. While we can still get our Jack White fix with the Raconteurs or The Dead Weather, it is a sad time for White Stripes fans.

No comments:

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google