Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Strep is in the house...

When I was 5 years old my mother, the nurse, sent me to school for a week with pneumonia. While I don't remember having pneumonia or even feeling sick, I do remember to remind my mom of this failure as much as possible.

Saturday night Izzy started running a low grade fever. In and of itself, not a big deal, especially for Izzy. She is my kid that can run a 104 degree fever and not even seem sick. So, I gave her some acetaminophin and had her lay down. A few hours later she told me her throat hurt, so I gave her popsicle. By bed time, her throat hurt, her head hurt and she was super congested. Uh Oh, I thought, she has a cold.

Sunday morning she didn't feel much better, so I gave her some more acetaminophin and sent her back to bed.

Monday, I called the doctor, but not for the right reason. "Izzy has been fighting a number of viruses this year, so she has missed a lot of school. She is running a fever today and had to stay home. Is it possible for me to get a Doctor's note?" the pathetic mom says to the nurse. After a bit of conversation the nurse replies "Well, it is always up to you whether your child is seen or not. However, it sounds a lot like strep, which is going around. I would suggest she come in for a throat culture." Of course, I acquiesce, begrudgingly. Monday night, I take Izzy out into the cold of the night to a doctors appointment, I was 100 percent sure she didn't need.

From my mommy's mind to yours... listen to the nurse at your Doctors office. Oh and never, ever remind another mom of a failure. It will undoubtedly come back to haunt you.

Sorry Mom!

No comments:

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google