Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dragons and Daisies

I always thought I was one of the few moms’ that actually salivated over children's fashion. I can't help but peruse various websites to see what new hip clothes my kids could wear. If I had unlimited resources, my children would easily be the most stylish on the block.

I have to say that this article regarding children's fashion really disturbed me.

First, why in the world do parents want their kids to look like mini adults? As a society, are we taking away a child's right to be a child? It seems to me that expectations are higher for children on all levels (academically, developmentally and athletically). Are we only perpetuating this lack of childhood by dressing them as adults?

Second, and perhaps the most disturbing portion of this article, is a parents need to dress their child like the child of a celebrity. This is insane (in my humble opinion). While I understand the theory that celebrities have made their life choices, paparazzi or no paparazzi, I have always empathized with the day to day struggle they endure. The idea that the paparazzi are stalking these poor children so they can be fashion icons is disturbing. Even more disturbing is the fact that we, as consumers, demand it.

Therefore, my new blog Dragons and Daisies is going to focus on fashionable child appropriate clothing. Now, having said that... there may be a slip up or two, as I am only human...

There will, however, be no slip ups when it comes to pictures of the children of celebrities. In fact, just to shake it up, I would love pictures of the children of paparazzi photographers. After all, do unto others as you would have done unto you.

2 comments:

Kara H. said...

I completely agree. This is so disturbing. Especially since kids grow out of clothing so quickly. I may splurge and buy a designer top now and again, but I know it will last me for years to come. But these designer baby people will have to buy a whole new expensive wardrobe for their kids every 6 months. And of course you can't save the clothes for your younger kids because they'd be out of style by them :)

It's just another example of parents trying to project their own aspirations, fantasies, dreams, etc. on their kids. So sad.

That being said, I've always wanted to buy some baby doc martins for my kids when I have some. They're so cute!

Marissa said...

The sad thing is how fast the industry is growing. So many adult designers are doing childrens lines to support the demand... In fact, Kingsley's website (http://www.kingsleyclothing.com) pictures kids in poses you would imagine adult models doing. I understand it is their marketing strategy, but what happened to kids being kids.

It is really very sad.

baby doc martins are super cute... I buy my kids baby chuck taylors. although not expensive, definintely me projecting my desires onto my kids (considering Isobel hates them). :)

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google