Wednesday, August 6, 2008

One year ago today...

It was one year ago today that my sister was finally able to carry Zeb out of the Baby House in Bishkek. I spent that day checking her blog every 5 minutes waiting for the post to let us know that he was really ours, forever. I actually cried when I finally read the post.

Although Michelle is struggling with how to celebrate Zeb's gotcha day, I didn't want to let it pass without some recognition from me.

My sister had been talking about adoption for a long time. The first I remember hearing about it was at Fafa's funeral (for those of you who don't know me, Fafa was our maternal grandmother). She spoke fondly of the idea of international adoption and couldn't wait to start the process. Having little experience with adoption, I wasn't sure how the integration process worked with extended families. I was worried that it would be difficult for me to love him as I did L. I was very wrong.

I remember when Michelle got her referral and I saw the picture of Zeb for the first time, it was very easy to fall in love with him. I also remember the disappointment I felt when she had short lived doubts regarding a baby boy (she originally wanted a girl a bit older than Zeb). However, fate intervened and Michelle became Zeb's Mom and I, in turn, became his Aunt.

No comments:

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google