Friday, May 16, 2008

New Kids on The Block...

I can now freely admit that I was a New Kids on the Block fan. I spent 7th and 8th grade in love with these boys (I was a Jordan girl). However, on my 14th birthday my sister gave me Pretty Hate Machine (Nine Inch Nails) and the transformation began. It took me some time to completely give up the Kids, but I eventually did. After I came out of my New Kids fog, I was so embarrassed of this obsessive past that I denied it (as my sister predicted I would). However, New Kids have always had a special place in my heart.

After a break the Kids reemerged as NKOTB. I remember driving to Clinton lake one night with my friend Jeff and the DJ on the radio said that NKOTB was playing at Liberty Hall. Tickets were still available. I made a joke that we should blow off the lake and go to the show, he laughed, but didn't change his course... we spent the rest of the drive making fun of New Kids on the Block fans. This solidified the fact that I couldn't share my deep, dark secret.

I remember the first time I admitted that I had been a New Kids on the Block fan. I was 19 and I admitted it to my friend Doug. He just shrugged and said he wasn't surprised. Doug’s response made me realize that the New Kids were a phase most girls my age went through. I was no longer ashamed of my past... in fact I embraced it.

Now, the New Kids on the Block are back. They have recorded a new album, are going on tour and they performed this morning on Today. If you missed it, like I did, you can see footage here.

I was shocked at the number of people in the crowd. However, watching them perform took me back to the innocence of my early teens. It made me realize that this reunion comes at the perfect time. Most New Kids fans have moved beyond the embarrassment and are ready to reminisce about the past.

Welcome back, old friends. It is nice to see you again.

2 comments:

Kara H. said...

I'm coming out of the closet with you and admitting I was a NKOTB fan as well. (Of course, it's not been a secret for a the past few months since I posted a video on my facebook page of my bedroom circa 1990 plastered with New Kids posters.)I made the transition from New Kids to REM fan in high school, so I tried as hard as I could to cover my shameful musical past. But now we can all laugh at it and remember being one my many silly, screaming girls.

Oh, and I'm totally going to go see them when they come to DC in October :)

Anonymous said...

So, my sis and I are taking my nieces to their show here in KC this fall...we have to show them what a REAL boy band is about!!! :)

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google