Wednesday, May 7, 2008

TV or no TV...

As I have mentioned before one of the negatives of being a work at home mom is that I allow my children to watch more TV than I should. I have spent more than a little time researching the negative effect of excessive TV watching, and I know I should be stricter. However, it does occupy them well when I have work that needs to be done, so I let it slide.

I do feel guilty, so I have spent some time trying to rationalize it. I have decided that my kids do learn some things from TV. Isobel learned how to make a number of different colors from Blue's Clues. Both Isobel and Eli can count to 10 in Spanish thanks to Dora and Diego. Eli has actually started trying different foods at meals because the characters on Yo Gabba Gabba told him he may like it. Is it possible that there are some positives to TV watching? Is it possible that there is such a thing as educational TV?

UPDATE

My friend Kara has a similar post on her Little Corner of the Web. It is an interesting look at Scooby Doo and the positive impact it may have on a young viewers mind. Let me know what you think...

No comments:

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google