Sunday, May 11, 2008

Twilight...

I am a book whore. I will read anything that is put in front of me. With this book weakness, I have been lucky to have a husband who was a book buyer for a major book retailer and is now in publishing. I tend to salivate when my husband tells me he is going to Borders on his way home from work. All I have to do is ask him to bring me a book and he always obliges. The fun of this method is that I never know what he is going to bring home and it is often a book I never would have picked out for myself.

One Friday night, about a month ago, the above scenario occurred and my wonderful husband came home with a copy of the book Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Now, one would think being the book whore that I am, I would have heard of this book…I had not. I started reading at about 9:00 pm and could not bring myself to stop. I finally finished around 4:00 am and collapsed into bed. The next morning my slightly surprised, but not shocked, husband confirmed that the second book (of which book 1 contained a fantastic preview), New Moon, was available for my reading pleasure. I got a much earlier start on that book and was able to finish it by dinner, and guess what... there was another teaser at the end. Yes, there was yet a third book in the series, Eclipse, beckoning me. However, my husband was unwilling to make a second trip to Borders that Saturday (third for the weekend), so I was forced to go and get my own book. I have to say it was well worth the trip. I did not read all night, as I was exhausted from the lack of sleep the night before, but I was able to finish it on Sunday.

This series is one of those guilty pleasures for me, much along the lines of Harry Potter and Stephanie Plum. The books you are not sure you should be reading, but can't help yourself. It is the story of a young, forbidden love that can't be denied. I have fallen in love with these characters and I am anxiously awaiting the fourth book, Breaking Dawn, to be released in August.

So, my friends, if you have a few minutes and want a light hearted read about a teenage girl and her much older, vampire boyfriend, look no further than the saga of Bella and Edward. I hope you will read them and enjoy them as much as I did. Oh, and let me know what you think. I would like to know if you fall in love as easily as I do...

UPDATE

Although I still recommend the first three books of the series, I was utterly disappointed in Breaking Dawn. It feels as if this book was rushed to publication and was desperate for another revision. I don't expect anyone who has read the first three books of the series to not read this book... I just recommend borrowing it from some poor sap who already bought it or checking it out at the library.

I have decided to pretend the series ended with Eclipse.

2 comments:

Kara H. said...

I did the same exact thing with all three Twilight books a few months ago! I was a little embarrassed and I haven't admitted that I read them to very many people. Did you know a movie version of Twilight is coming out in December? Here's the official movie site: http://www.twilightthemovie.com/

The other "guilty pleasure" books I love is the Kushiel's Legacy series by Jacqueline Carey. Definitely more fantasy and romance-y that anything else I normally read, but they completely sucked me in.

Marissa said...

I am still embarrassed, but I have decided that it is time to embrace my inner 14 year old. Of course, I could always lie and say that I was only reading it to see if it is appropriate to remain in my local school library... I mean there is an element of the supernatural, perhaps it is time for me to gather the other parents and burn all the copies... :)

I did see about the movie, I could never bring myself to go to a movie theatre and see it, but that doesn't mean it won't be on my Netflix list.

I will have to check out the Kushiel's Legacy series. Thanks for sharing!

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google