Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Other Mommy's minds...

I tend to procrastinate by reading random mommy blogs. I typically find them reassuring. It helps to know that some of my kid’s quirky behaviors are simply because they are kids, not because they have some horrifying mental deficiency. There are so many intelligent, well written blogs in the mommy realm that they always make me think, and often make me re-evaluate my own mommy mind.

As most of you (hopefully all of you) know, Mother's Day occurred recently. It seems in the mommy blog world there is a trend of mother's who find mother's day to be unnecessary. It seems the most rampant reason for this theory is that we should respect mothers year round and we shouldn't need someone to tell us that a mom deserves recognition. While I agree 100% with these statements, it made me think about my relationship with my mom. One of the great things about family is that, although you should appreciate the things they do, it is okay to expect them to be there for you and help you when help is needed. With this dynamic, it is easy to take them for granted, almost inevitable. As a mother, I am not sure I would want it any other way. I want my children to expect me to be there for them no matter what.

However, I find that I enjoyed Mother's Day more as a daughter then as a Mother. I don't need a day to tell me I am a good mom and my kids love me, but perhaps my kids need a day to show me that I am special to them. Is it possible that by diminishing the importance of this day, we are taking something away from our kids? As women and mothers, we tend to take care of our families needs without demand or thought. Perhaps we don't allow them to reciprocate as much as they would like. Perhaps Mother's Day is the one day they can pamper us and show us how much they appreciate what we do for them.

So, my official stance on Mother's Day is that as long as my children want to do something for me, I will be excited to participate in the events of the day. After all, as a mother, I am most comfortable making sure my children are happy, and if pampering me makes them happy, who am I to complain...

No comments:

Random thoughts of a work at home mom struggling to maintain an identity of her own.

Google